Monday, September 11, 2017

Chasing Da Lat waterfalls, eating insects and drinking poop coffee

Eating insects with my eyes closed, drink coffee that was weasels’ poop and nearly drowned in a lake are what I remember about Da Lat. When choosing the town as the next stop on my self-guided tour, it was actually a last-minute decision. Having nearly suffocated by the heat of SaiGon, I consulted every friend of mine who have been to Viet Nam to find a way out of it; one of them recommended Da Lat and there I went. As most people traveling to Da Lat say the waterfalls are some of the highlights, Eating crispy crickets and seeing how weasels poop coffee with www.helloVietnam.com

I stopped at the cricket farm on my way to the Elephant waterfall. Since the tour that my hostel was too expensive and I was on a tight budget (I did not plan to go to Da Lat in the first place) so renting a motorbike at $5 was a viable option for me. Luckily, I did learn to ride one even though the skills had become rusty over the year. After a few minutes of awkwardness to get my feeling with the vehicle, I set off chasing Da Lat famous waterfalls.

The crickets were quite flavorful although it might be creepy to see them with their legs and antennae still intact. I was served a plate-full of cooked crickets with chili sauce and decided to pick up one then close my eyes firmly. I slowly put the little fellow into my mouth while running through my head with images of them still alive and jumping merrily around. After a few seconds that felt like centuries, I found myself chewing vigorously in the laughter of people around. I took a sip of locally-made rice wine to wash down the exotic snack before tucking in the rest of the plate.

I had thought the craziness of the day was over until I reached the next stop. Have you ever heard of weasel coffee? That was exactly where I visited. Basically, the farmers fed the weasels with coffee cherries and collect the half-digest beans, and they are civets, not weasels, do not be fooled by the name. It was not my favorite but tasted good. You think drinking a cup of coffee was normal? Try to think you are sampling poop to see how it feels.
 
Da Lat weasel coffee - hellovietnam
Da Lat weasel coffee

Being dragged down a lake
            No more stopping on the way for me, I headed straight to the waterfalls as the afternoon wore on.
The Elephant is a plunge waterfall; even though it cannot stand up to the grandeur of other falls that I had seen, the contrast of white water with the lush green vegetation around can totally make up for the lack of magnificence. It was rainy season and there were substantial volumes of water pouring over and between the protruding green-capped rocks and low trees. Full River creates voids within which pebbles swirl at high flows. In midstream, there were some bowl-shaped pits in a rock outcrop showing how badly eroded they are by the powerful force of water.

Da Lat Elephant waterfall - helloVietnam
Da Lat Elephant waterfall

After the Da Lat Elephant waterfall, I set off for the Pongour. It is the prime example of how context colors the overall impression of the fall. This cascade waterfall is a National Geographic standard backdrop with water gushing over the rocks. Verdant bushes thrive between slow-flew streams and hug the gray rocks to make the whole scene seem more welcoming. As I got closer to the pond under it, the smell of mud and musty odors emanating from the trees went up to my nostrils. It had a serenity-pool at the bottom and around it, flowers were nodding gently.

Da LatPongour waterfalls - helloVietnam
Da LatPongour waterfalls

Little did I know that an accident was waiting for me. Having been carried away by the whole scene, I missed to warning sign of a stone covered by green lichen and step right on it. Moments before I was taking in the view, now I felt myself under the cool water and fully submerged; spinning and cartwheeling along the strong currents. I tried to strike for the surface but after several fail attempts, I was still under the water. I felt the air in my lungs ran out and my limbs struggled to bring the whole body up. When my head finally found a way to reach the air above, I grabbed for a rock, latched on to it and breathed raggedly. After a few minutes to catch my breath, I crawled to the bank with the whole body soaking wet and shaking by panic. Later I found out that the pool was out of bound because of the powerful and dangerous currents. As this accident broke my spirit, I stopped my journey chasing other waterfalls in Da Lat..


After eating crickets, drinking poop coffee and being dragged down the water, I called it a day and got back to my hostel as fast as I could. Da Lat with www.helloVietnam.com in the memories of others is a sleepy romantic town but somehow in mine, it is an unexpected challenge of a life time. But that was a story of an unlucky me, do not let it interfere with your exploration of beautiful Da Lat waterfalls. 
Previous Post
Next Post

post written by:

0 comments: